My 2019 book, EC Comics: Race, Shock, and Social Protest has been nominated for a Will Eisner Comic Industry Award for Best Scholarly/Academic Work! Also nominated for Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism is Inks: The Journal of the Comics Studies Society, where I serve as editor. If you are a comics scholar, educator, librarian or a professional in the comics industry, you are eligible to vote for the recipients at http://eisnervote.com/. There are a lot of great nominees this year and I'm very proud to be one of them.
An archive of my online writing on comics, literature, and culture.
- Race and the Risks of "Kiddie Garbage" Cartooning
- What is an African American Comic?
- Ugliness, Empathy, and Octavia Butler
- How do Comics Visualize Racist Speech?
- Sound and Silence in the Jim Crow South
- Is Comics Reading Immersive or Expansive?
- Blues Comics